We know many of you will be entering the new year thinking about ways you can upgrade your health. Adopting healthier habits in 2023 can help you feel your best now and keep you feeling fantastic as you get older.
We wanted to share our top tips for improving your healthspan in 2023 and how NAD+ supplements can help you achieve your goals.
- Get morning sunlight – Exposure to sunlight in the morning helps synchronise your circadian rhythm which regulates a multitude of functions including appetite, digestion, and hormone production. Morning sunlight also increases levels of serotonin, the brains ‘happy hormone’ and improves sleep by regulating the production of melatonin. Melatonin is a sleep-inducing hormone and morning sunlight reduces melatonin levels during the day making you feel awake, before increasing production in the evening to make you feel sleepy.
- Increase your steps – Various studies show that getting at least 10,000 steps per day has a vast range of health benefits including improved immune function, maintenance of bone and muscle function, maintaining a healthy body weight, improved brain function and better mental health.
- Include more plants in your diet – Studies show that incorporating 30 different plants into your diet each week can increase the diversity of your gut microbiome. A healthy and diverse gut microbiome has been found to reduce chronic inflammation which in turn promotes healthy aging. This is because 60-70% of your immune system is located in your gut.
Tip: eat the rainbow, as brightly coloured plants are high in polyphenols. These plant compounds support gut health and have additional health benefits.
- Strength training – Aging is associated with the involuntary loss of muscle mass, strength, and function. Therefore, maintaining muscle mass and strength with age is a key factor for longevity. Research shows that the benefits of strength training go beyond just supporting muscle mass and include increased mobility and flexibility, improved bone health, improved brain health, and better cardiovascular function.
Strength training also increases NAD+ levels and sirtuin activity to extend healthspan.
- Prioritise sleep – Getting both optimal quality and quantity of sleep is vital for healthy aging. During sleep your body produces hormones and chemicals to repair and rejuvenate your brain and body. Lack of sleep can increase biological age, increase inflammation, and reduce NAD+ production. Developing an evening routine, the enables you to have quality rest can help you feel energised and slow aging.
- Stress your cells – Cold exposure, heat exposure, and fasting all stimulate ‘hormesis’. This is the concept that mild cellular stress activates beneficial repair pathways within your cells which promote longevity e.g., Sirtuins and AMPK. Our current lifestyles are very comfortable compared to our ancestors so incorporating periods of cellular stress can have great benefits.
- Boost your NAD+ levels – NAD+ is required for optimal cellular health and is known to decline with age and with certain lifestyle factors (e.g., lack of sleep and alcohol consumption). Increasing your NAD+ levels with Nuchido TIME+ can help improve your health at the cellular level which in turn can:
- Increase energy production
- Improve sleep quality
- Support optimal brain function and reduce brain fog
- Support muscle function and reduce recovery time
- Slow cellular aging
- Improve your healthspan (that is the period of your life you spend in good health)
Upgrade your health in 2023 by implementing these habits into your routine, so you can be you for longer.