NAD+ stands for Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide. It's a natural molecule found within every living cell of your body. Scientific interest in NAD+ has grown significantly during the last few years after the discovery of its crucial role in the aging process in mammals. Below are the top five reasons you need more NAD+ in your life.
1. Without NAD+ you wouldn’t be alive! NAD+ is an essential part of the reaction that turns the food you eat into the energy that your cells need to maintain their vital functions.
2. NAD+ is essential to activate your “longevity genes”. In every cell you have a family of seven proteins called “Sirtuins”. These proteins are nicknamed the “guardians of the genome” because they play a key role in maintaining cellular health and switching off genes that are associated with ageing and poor health. These proteins do not work without NAD+.
3. Low NAD+ is associated with multiple health problems and ageing. As you age your NAD+ levels get lower and lower, meaning that your cells have less energy and less activation of your longevity genes. This is believed to be one of the major reasons mammals, including humans, age.
4. NAD+ is essential for repairing DNA. DNA damage is a major cause of ageing so making sure it is repaired is essential to slow the ageing process. Throughout life your DNA is constantly under attack from UV light, pollution, a bad diet and even your own metabolism! High NAD+ helps DNA repair enzymes in your cells to make sure any DNA damage is quickly repaired.
5. NAD+ helps to regulate your body clock. Your internal 24-hour body clock (circadian rhythm) dictates not only your sleeping patterns, but also your energy levels, hormones and metabolism. NAD+ plays an important role in keeping this rhythm on track.